Located on Water Street in historic Gastown, Terminus & Grand consists of two three-storey heritage buildings: the Terminus, built in 1901, and the Grand, built in 1889.
The Terminus building’s name was chosen to represent the significance of Vancouver and the Gastown district as the western terminus of the Canadian Pacific Railway. It is actually the third building on the site with the same name, the first being a wooden saloon destroyed in the 1886 Great Fire, and the second a small brick hotel built to replace it later the same year. The third incarnation, also a hotel, was gutted by a fire in 2000, with only the façade surviving.
This historic development has been converted into 46 residential units totaling 50,000 square feet, featuring rooftop amenity space and four levels of underground parking. Retail space occupies the ground level with both street and alley access. The adjacent Grand hotel, which had sat vacant for over 35 years and suffered extensive deterioration, was also restored and linked with Terminus.
The program for the development included façade retention and upper floor level additions, using cast-in-place concrete, masonry, glass, steel supports, and wood.