Located in the heart of historic Gastown, the Taylor Building has retained much of its 1911 Edwardian commercial architecture, including clay brick façade with projecting cornices, large heritage windows, and refinished wood floors. The massive cubic form, high density, large clear-span floor-plate and notable height of this structure are a clear indication of the extent and prosperity of wholesale trade during this period. It was commissioned by Walter Taylor, founder and managing director of one of the earliest and most successful local food supply companies, Empress Manufacturing Co. Ltd., which dealt in imported coffees, spices, jams and jellies.
Completed in 2003, this 5 storey, 27,000 square foot restoration and loft conversion used new cast-in-place concrete and a seismic steel frame, combined with the existing original heavy timber beams. The interiors of each of the 22 residential units have 10 to 14 foot ceilings and original brick feature walls. Retail units occupy the ground floor at street level.