Cordage & Garage is a 57,700 square foot heritage restoration and conversion development, located in the historic Gaolers Mews and Blood Alley areas of Gastown. This mixed-use project is a combination of the 1889 Cordage Building and the circa 1930’s Nagel Brothers Garage. The building consists of 34 live/work studios totaling 27,900 square feet, along with 12,000 square feet of office space and the remaining 17,800 square feet of street level retail.
Designed to LEED Silver equivalent, the project’s existing concrete façade, masonry clay brick, and heavy timber have been retained and combined with new cast-in-place concrete, concrete block masonry, and steel framing. The $27 million project was completed in 2009.
Images: © Bob Matheson, © Marty Tessler