Glotman•Simpson, one of North America’s leading engineering firms, has been providing innovative solutions and unparalleled client service since 1964. For over 55 years, we’ve been delivering quality, cost conscious structural engineering consulting services for more than 5,000 projects in the areas of high-rise residential, seismic upgrade, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings.
Our firm is currently looking for a passionate Design + Field Engineer to join our Calgary, AB team. If you’re looking to expand your knowledge in a challenging technical environment, we’d like to hear from you! This is an exciting opportunity to develop your experience with a firm that offers excellent training to fit your current experience and to achieve your future goals.
If you’re our newest Design + Field Engineer, you possess the following knowledge, qualifications and abilities:
- 1-3 years’ experience in a structural engineering role;
- 1-3 years’ construction site experience, including field reviews during construction;
- B.Sc. in Civil Engineering with a Structural major;
- Structural design experience in concrete, wood and structural steel;
- Experience with reinforcing inspections prior to concrete pours (required);
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work with internal staff, clients and construction site personnel;
- Ability to accurately read and interpret drawing plans;
- Registration as a Professional Engineer or EIT with APEGA; and,
- Experience working with AutoCAD and REVIT is seen as a definite asset.
And, you’re also described as:
- A difference-maker;
- A positive team player who is always seeking solutions to challenges;
- Someone who communicates clearly and concisely;
- A multi-tasker who thrives in a fast-paced environment;
- Someone who radiates enthusiasm, energy and passion; and
- Someone who is organized, efficient and confident.
If this sounds like you, here’s what you can expect to be doing as a Design + Field Engineer:
- Creating plans, design, computer analysis, checking drawing reviews and calculations using engineering formulas and skills for design in accordance with established codes, standards, drawings, or other specifications;
- Analyzing applicable reports, drawings, blueprints, tests, and related documentation to plan and design projects;
- Using computer-assisted engineering and design software to prepare engineering and design documents and calculations;
- Conducting field reviews and structural observations;
- Attending site meetings during construction on behalf of the Project Engineer;
- Reviewing shop drawings, contractor requests and RFI’s (working with Project Engineers and drafting staff to develop project solutions and preparing documentation such as Site Instructions etc.);
- Preparing appropriate Construction Phase documentation; and,
- Providing engineering design and drafting assistance on a wide range of challenging and exciting building projects.
Our team is innovative, creative and collaborative; if you can see yourself as a part of our dynamic team, send us your cover letter + resume by clicking APPLY below.
While we appreciate all interest in our firm, we will be in touch with you to request an interview if selected, no phone calls please.Apply