Glotman•Simpson, one of North America’s leading engineering firms, has been providing innovative solutions and unparalleled client service since 1964. For over 50 years, we’ve been delivering quality, cost conscious structural engineering consulting services for more than 5,000 projects in the areas of high-rise residential, seismic upgrade, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings.
Our firm is currently looking for a passionate Performance Based Design Engineer to join our dynamic Vancouver-based team. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with a Master’s of Engineering or Master’s of Science degree looking to expand their knowledge working on a number of challenging Performance Based Design projects. Candidates must be self-motivated, creative, have effective communication skills and a keen interest specifically in earthquake engineering.
Our firm offers an excellent environment for growth and achievement of your future goals; we encourage ongoing personal and professional development and provide our team with the tools they need in order to succeed and progress on their career path.
If you’re our newest Performance Based Design Engineer, you possess the following knowledge, qualifications and abilities:
- Master’s of Science and Engineering degree with specialization in earthquake engineering and performance based design coursework (a degree from a University with seismic experience using U.S. Seismic Codes is an asset);
- 0-3 years of structural design experience (includes co-op and/or internship experience);
- Structural design experience in post-tensioned concrete, reinforced concrete, wood, masonry and steel;
- Strong technical understanding of seismic design principles and structural dynamics; able to identify and design the most optimal lateral bracing strategies;
- Extensive knowledge of U.S. Design Codes (i.e. ACI 318-14, ASCE 7-10) and moreover, the California Building Code 2016, obtained through coursework and past work experience;
- Knowledge of nonlinear response and analysis of structural systems is an asset;
- Familiarity with LATBSDC and TBI 2 guidelines as well as journals related to nonlinear analysis of reinforced concrete structures;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to accurately read and interpret drawing plans;
- Proficient with ETABS, SAP 2000, Perform 3D and OpenSees software;
- Strong knowledge of the theory, computer implementation, and application of methods of geometric and material non-linear analysis;
- Basic knowledge of parametric design and optimization is preferred; and,
- Ability to operate an integrated REVIT BIM model to collaborate with other disciplines on large scale projects.
And, you’re also described as:
- A difference-maker;
- A positive team player who is always seeking solutions to challenges;
- Someone who communicates clearly and concisely;
- A multi-tasker who thrives in a fast-paced environment;
- Someone who radiates enthusiasm, energy and passion; and
- Someone who is organized, efficient and confident.
If this sounds like you, here’s what you can expect to be doing as a Performance Based Design Engineer:
- Creating plans, design, computer analysis, checking drawing reviews and calculations using engineering formulas and skills for design in accordance with established codes, standards, drawings, or other specifications;
- Analyzing applicable reports, drawings, blueprints, tests, and related documentation to plan and design projects;
- Using computer-assisted engineering and design software to prepare engineering and design documents and calculations;
- Creating efficient calculation packages to be reviewed by structural peer review panels;
- Providing detailed responses to challenging questions from structural peer review panels;
- Conducting field reviews and structural observations; and,
- Reviewing shop drawings, contractor requests and RFI’s.
Our team is innovative, creative and collaborative; if you can see yourself as a part of our dynamic team, send us your cover letter + resume by clicking APPLY below.
While we appreciate all interest in our firm, we will be in touch with you to request an interview if selected, no phone calls please.Apply